Me speaking about Living with Less Plastic from the GIY stage at Bloom in the Park 2019
I believe in a life that is simple, kind and joyous
Life is so complicated these days and it’s getting harder and harder to live well in a sustainable and ethical manner. A little bit of knowledge makes sustainable living that much easier and that’s what this website is all about.
And here’s a little about me;
My husband, two kids and I live in South Dublin, Ireland. I’m am a designer with a passion for visual beauty, all forms of problem solving, socially beneficial initiatives and human connections.
I started researching sustainable living after discovering in 2016 that standard single-use coffee cups were neither recyclable nor compostable. This was all the more shocking considering that at the time of discovery I had been in charge of policy production for an environmental political party for 4 years. I wondered what else I didn’t know and so set off to find out, recording what I was learning in a blog, which was to eventually become this website.
I’m proof that small changes do make a difference. Our bin charges are a third of families with a similar set up, and this is just one of the sustainable choices that help us save €2500 – €3000 per annum. Our carbon footprint is also 88% of the UK target and we use 20% less resources than the earth can replenish every year, i.e. if everyone lived like us, human life on this planet wouldn’t be in the danger it currently is. And we do all this while driving a car, eating some meat and without living a life of penury. To find out more click on this link for articles about my personal zero waste journey
Media Appearances – I was invited onto the morning breakfast show of Ireland AM on the 29th of September 2020 to talk about easy steps towards sustainable living.
I’ve spoken on the Claire Byrne Live Show, RTE 1, about waste reduction (14th Jan 2019) and food waste (13th May 2019) and sustainable laundry (21st Oct 2019).
I’ve also done quick pieces on radio on all aspects of sustainable living including;
- Sustainable Christmas tips with RTE Radio 1 12th Dec 2021
- Interview with Brendan O’Connor 31st July 2021
- Sustainable Living Advice on RTE Radio 1 on 21st of April 2021
- Dublin City FM on the 5th Dec 2020
- WLR on 30th May 2019,
- Cork 96 FM on 24th of June 2019
- East Coast Radio on 2nd of July 2019
And contributed to the following newspaper and website articles including;
- Ways to reduce food waste with the Irish Times 26th March 2022
- Sustainable Christmas tips with the Irish Examiner 11th Dec 2021
- Sustainable Christmas tips with Buzz.ie 30th Nov 2021
- Reducing your carbon footprint with the Irish Independent 3rd Nov 2021
- Interview with Sunday Independent 25th July 2021
- 24 Hours of Going Green with Irish Examiner 23rd of May 2021
- Avoiding Food Waste with Dublin Live 20th Feb 2021
- Feature on Sustainable Living in The Irish Times 15th June 2019
I also contributed to a booklet on Green Living by the national newspaper Irish Independent
Talks – I have given talks on living sustainably and zero waste living to GIY groups, community groups, at multiple Zero Waste Festivals, at the Food Festival in Airfield in 2018, at the Love Your Home Show in March 2019 and on the GIY stage at Bloom in the Park 2019.
Some of the topics I talk about include;
- Preventing Waste in the Kitchen
- Creating a Stylish Sustainable Wardrobe
- Raising Zero Waste kids
- Toxin-free Cleaning
- Living a clutter free life; and how to rehome the rest.
- Sustainability on a Shoestring
If you’re a company I charge €200 for a 60 minute talk. To date I’ve given talks to or on behalf of the following organisations.
Consultancy – I am also available to do home or work visits with individuals and organisations on how to move towards sustainable living and businesses. If you’d prefer just adhoc advise as and when you need it then consider supporting my work with a monthly donation via the website Patreon
Support my Work
I don’t do sponsored posts or accept gifts. Instead, I rely on the support of my readers. If you enjoyed my writing then please share some of my articles, buy me a coffee on Ko-fi, or make a small monthly donation via Patreon, or a one-time donation via Paypal
PS – if you’re having trouble following my website let me know at living lightly in ireland @ gmail . com (delete spaces before emailing)